Sunday, November 6, 2011

Birthmarked by Caragh O'Brien


This book is basically a futuristic mystery read,
and I loved it. Full of twists and turns and a
strong main character, people who loved
the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield will
love this. An unexpected, slightly disappointing, 
end leaving me wondering if there will
be a sequel. 
 Rating: 7/10
 In the future, in a world destroyed by the harsh sun, there are those who live in the luxury inside the walled Enclave and those, like sixteen-year-old Gaia Stone, who live outside - struggling to survive.  Each month the people outside the wall must deliver a quota of babies to the Enclave, to be raised by parents within and brainwashed to forget about the world outside.


This is the way it's always been, and the way Gaia thinks it should be.......until her parents are arrested on suspicion of hiding a code; a code revealing the secrets of the "advanced" babies.  realising she is her parents' only hope for survival, Gaia ventures inside the wall to resuce them.  but she soon discovers that the Enclave is not as perfect as it appears; the gene pool has become too small and genetic irregularities are developing - something the brutal government wants to stop.  At any cost.  Can Gaia break the code and discover the truth, before it's too late?

4 comments:

  1. I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY loved the Uglies series!! So I have a feeling I will like this book. It's too bad about the disappointing ending, but I hope there will be a sequel! I'll try to get my hands on it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, Claire! I'll look out for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was awesome! I just finished reading it, so awesome! But really sad at the end

    ReplyDelete